[amayausers] Re: (No Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:20:09 -0700

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

My take on Dakota and car issue was different. It is the same as Disney,
Harley, etc. You can digitize it, and you own the intellectual rights to
that digitized design, but you can not sew it and make profit without
permissions. Your statement about Dakota allowing someone to use them is the
key. It is NOT up to Dakota to police what the person does with the Car
design. They could sell the car designs with the statement just as you say,
that to sew it and make profit from it you need permission from the Auto
maker. The person using the Car Design then needs to get permission from
auto maker to use it to make goods. If the end user could show Dakota they
have permission to use it from the Auto Maker, Dakota would have no problem
selling it to them. BUT, Dakota did not want these administrative nightmares
which equates to $$$$, so instead they just pulled the designs.

 I still suggest to get better answers, and best is to talk to an
intellectual legal firm. If there is question about it in your mind, then
ask the proper legal attorney to be sure.

Jeff Banks