[amayausers] Re: New to Amayas - Did We Make A Mistake?

  • From: "Jack Fuller" <Jack@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:56:31 -0600

Kip

Don't worry. It gets easier. As you know the AMAYA is a different technology
and it takes time to learn. Not a lot but some. You should take the training
as soon as you can. But the first thing you should recognize is that .dst
files may need some tweaking. I hope you bought Design Shop Pro or Pro+.
Otherwise you will have to have someone else edit your .dst files in order
to get the best out of the machine. Not that they won't work because they
do. But editing is problematic because you are limited as to what you can do
with expanded designs in DS Basic. Start with something simple like text.
Use the default settings. Sew at 1100 or 1200 spm using only an Organ
needle. Use primarily the 75/11 needle; sharps on woven fabrics and ball
points on knits. Use just the basic Block alphabet and then try a script
like Custom Script. These are easy to do and adding 150% pull comp @ .25
inch and .50 inch using the default density gives you a clean design. Add a
little more pull comp. Decrease the density to 3.5 pts on the .50 and 4.0
pts on the quarter inch. This adds a little bolder dimension. Try the
various underlayments. You may have already tried all this but I included
them just in case you are still struggling.

Now regarding your old designs; it may pay to have an .ofm digitizer
re-digitize a few of your best customer's designs so you can work right away
without interruption. You can find several on this list. Or leave a message
here asking for one in your area to contact you. If it is just simple
editing I'll bet you can get someone to do it quite reasonably. But they
will have to have Design Shop Pro or Pro+. Two simple things to remember
that impact sewing are the needle position and presser foot adjustments. The
needle should be turned counterclockwise (right) about 5 degrees. The
presser foot has to be one click above the fabric. Follow the manuals
directions on how to adjust it. You haven't had your machines long enough to
worry about the thread rollers yet. Be sure to keep the tops of the thread
spindles no higher than half an inch above the top of the cone and be sure
to use the coasters with the 1000 meter cones. The bobbin placement is
critical but the instructions for installation are clear and easy to
understand. Be sure to follow them exactly. You will find them in the online
and hard copy manual. One nasty problem that sneaks up on you quickly is
bird nesting. It is important to clean under the needle plate regularly
during a long work session. Small stray thread will goof up your trimming
too. Take the needle plate off daily to blow dust and debris out and to
check for stray threads. If it starts to sound like you gremlins pounding
with a hammer inside take the needle plate off first.

 If you can't get to training right away call your sales rep and ask him/her
to recommend a mentor. There are several long time embroiderers who have
volunteered to help new owners. You also have a lot of support here on the
list. It will only take a few days to get the basics down to where you can
start to sew well again. I should also add that EVERYBODY on this list has
had the same learning curve adjustments to make that you are experiencing
now. You will likely find that everything you need to know can be provided
by list members. This is very active and generous group.

Jack Fuller

  _____