[amayausers] Re: Needle rotation???

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:23:45 -0500

Roland,
        Wise men say, and this is for all embroidery machines, that the needle
should be installed in the needle clamp so that the eye of the needle is
straight front to back.  It should be perpendicular to the rotary hook point
as the hook spins around to grab the thread passing through the needle eye.
Very similar to the child riding the Merry Go Round horse reaching out to
grab the big brass ring as he/she goes around (something I once saw in a 3D
movie at Disney World).
        The only reason you would choose to rotate your needle so that the eye
of
the needle would be offset by 5 degrees or so is to compensate for thread
that has entirely too many twists in it.  Meaning that, as the thread tends
to relax from being pulled straight as the needle begins it's upstroke, the
thread would then twist slightly to the right (due to the standard cone
wrapping direction) behind the needle and just out of position to be caught
by the rotary hook point.  What you would experience would be intermittent
missed stitches and then possibly thread breaks due to an excess of top
thread with no where to go, and only on those needles with the twisty type
thread.
        I was recently working with some rayon thread from Madeira that was more
curly than not.  Although everything was sewing fine so we left the needles
in their original positions.
        You would never want to turn your needle to the left unless your thread
spool was wound backwards.  (I have seen some out there).
        Also, I believe 5 degrees to the right is maximum that is recommended.
Very slight indeed!
Ed

Ed & Maralien Orantes
E.M. Broidery