[amayausers.com] Re: Needle breaks galore

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 05:53:41 UT

This message was posted by The Embroidery Authority on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE
DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by
clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/409.html#000003

Dear SewSew7 (No first name?),
I doubt your problem is related to hook timing unless you know you jammed
something in the rotary hook.  Save this for your last option.
If your needles are breaking, then we need to look at what the needles are
hitting to begin troubleshooting your problem.
First we need to know if your needle is hitting the needle plate.  And if so,
how far off is it from center of the machine? It's either that your needleplate
is slightly off center or your needlecase is not centering itself correctly.
This proceedure will differ depending on what model machine you have.
If the needle is clearing the needle plate going through the center of the
needle plate hole, then the next area we would suspect would be the bobbin case
or bobbin basket.  The pig tail spring on the front side of the bobbin case
must always be at 12 o'clock when installed in the machine.  If the bobbin case
is allowed to rotate too far away from this position, you will break needles
and possibly throw your machine out of time.  This can happen if your retaining
finger is not doing what it's supposed to. this would be the little silver arm
that is attached to the left side of the sewing arm and extends out in front of
the sewing arm just above the bobbin case.  It's function is to hold the bobbin
basket in the correct position.

With a new needle in any of your needle bars, hit the emergency stop button
(kills power) and manually rotate the Z shaft (silver rod under the center of
the top portion of the machine) counter clockwise and try to determine which of
the above is your problem.  Try not to continue breaking needles if you can
help it because it will only create a more expensive problem to fix.
ie: one customer told me he was able to finish sewing the garment after
breaking about 20 needles from start to finish.  You never know when one broken
needle will "break the camel's back".
Good Luck,
Ed Orantes
Melco Tech & Trainer