[amayausers.com] Re: Magnetic bobbins

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:31:30 UT

This message was posted by The Embroidery Authority on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE
DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by
clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/916.html#000006

Guys,
When it comes to bobbins for the Amaya, any type of bobbin can be used with
success as long as it's a size "L" (large) and you understand the fundamentals
of bobbin tension.
What I mean by this is that the bobbin tension should be the same regardless of
brand or style of bobbin.  Where most problems occur with machine operators is
that they don't know what quirky problems to expect with the different types of
bobbins.  Once you know that you need smooth, consistent, appropriate tension
coming from the bobbin case/bobbin, then you're halfway on your way to
troubleshooting all those quirky problems associated with the different types
of bobbins.
Disclaimer: (Your experiences may be similar or different to mine but this is
just an attempt to help folks out who haven't had much experience in this
area.)  Here are a few inconsistent problems to watch out for:

Coats & Clark Cardboard Polyester (continuous filament):
-Cardboard sides may not always be round - sometimes oval or not cut out clean.
-Inside of spool core may not be large enough for easy spinning.
-Spool core may have rough sides that are split and stick out.
-Spool may be overwound causing spools diameter to be too large for bobbin case.
-Spool may be overwound causing spool to be too thick or fat causing spool to
hang out the back side of bobbin case.  With this problem, your tension checks
good when in your hands but when you plug the bobbin case into the bobbin
basket, it squeezes the fat bobbin causing the tension to be excessively
overtight.
-Spool can be out of round (like someone stepped on it) causing it to spin like
an old wagon wheel.
-Cardboard particles are shaved off of cardboard sides and contribute to the
lint or debris that get trapped under the tension leaf spring.

Coats & Clark Spun Polyester ("ASTRA" - cheaper price) (not continuous filament)
-Same proplems as above including...
-Inconsistent thickness of bobbin thread and a fuzzy look to it sometimes with
lumps.  This is why it's cheaper.

Magnetic Core Bobbin - Fil Tec brand:
-Spool's plastic core may be too small to fit into bobbin case.
-magnetic ring falls off of core or breaks into pieces.

NEBS plastic sided:
-At base of bobbin thread there is a knot tied around bobbin spool which causes
a violent thread break at the end of the bobbin thread.
-Rough edges around plastic sides.
-Spool is overwound causing spool's diameter to be too big for bobbin case.

Magnetic Cardboard sided bobbin:
-Magnetic side falls off of spool and stays stuck to inside of bobbin case.
-Same problems as cardboard sided bobbins listed above.

Size L Bobbin Case (Not a bobbin spool but still a source of problems):
-Dirty.  Not much else to say here. Make sure it's as clean as when it was new.
-Anti backlash spring inside of bobbin case - this was meant to be used with
metal spools.
-Bobbin case is not truly round - often one of the top edges of the bobbin case
gets bent inward slightly causing the bobbin spool or a new sideless bobbin to
drag against this upper wall.
-Tension too tight or too loose - The adjustable "leaf spring" on the side of
the bobbin case is dirty, incorrectly adjusted, bent, or stretched.  At a cost
of $8-$10, if cleaning or adjusting doesn't correct the tension, replace it.

I may have missed a few or more inconsistencies but I trust some of you will
add to my list.
Remember these are potential problems to look out for when experiencing sewing
problems.  Most of the time, simply throwing away the bad bobbin spool and
starting with another one will solve your problem.  With this I say don't
always expect to be able to use every last bobbin in the box with success.  Due
to manufacturing and shipping problems, it's possible to sometimes expect 5-10%
of a box of bobbins to be problematic - especially with the cardboard sided
bobbins.
Everyone will have their preference when it comes to bobbin types for their own
reasons.  Although we use the magnetic core in our shop and are happy, I could
use any bobbin (size L) you give me and can weed out the problem bobbins by
always getting back to basics by checking for smooth, consistent and properly
adjusted tension.
Remember to check your bobbin tension and bobbin case cleanliness everytime you
place a new spool into the bobbin case.  And always use high grade "continuous
filament" bobbin thread.  The bobbin thread should feel just as smooth and with
the same quality as your top thread.  Don't skimp with cheap threads as your
customer should be paying for quality.
Hoping this helps.
Ed Orantes
Embroidery Machine Tech & Trainer