[amayausers] Re: Machine Choice

  • From: "Cindy Chamberlin" <ImpressiveThreads@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:48:32 -0700

Barb,
        I just went through the start up experience myself and actually
began sewing in May. I went with 2 Amaya XT machines after seeing it at the
ISS show in long beach. I did explore purchasing a Tajima as well and since
I wanted 2 heads determined Amaya was right for me. I liked the fact I could
sew separate designs / garments at the same time, something the multihead
Tajima can't do. Also Tajima was approximately $6000 more. I compared
warranties, service, extras that came with purchasing a new machine, etc. I
am very happy with my Amaya choice.

As far as set up, you will quickly see what you will need. I purchased a
worktable kit from Home Depot for $50. It is solid wood, has a full shelf
underneath and two drawers. I stained it and put it together. I also
recommend tubs with drawers if you can find them for storage. I converted
our spare bedroom into my office, so I use the shelves already built in the
closet as well.

You will have a learning curve when it comes to sewing, putting together
designs, etc. Do go to any training available with your machine purchase and
attend seminars or conferences in your area. As you order garments for your
customers, I advise ordering 1 or 2 extra. Take it from experience, it saves
time as you are learning, making mistakes, etc. to have a extra shirt or hat
on hand to replace the one you mess up.

Good luck in getting your business off and running. If I can be of further
assistance give me a shout.

Cindy Chamberlin
Impressive Threads
Phoenix, Az 85085