[amayausers] Re: Machine Choice

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 09:58:14 -0500

Hey Barb,
I think Ron read your name as "Embroid Me" which is the national chain.  You
will probably be okay with "EmbroiderMe" but it wouldn't hurt to chat with
an attorney if you have one.  Most embroidery companies around the world
have cute names that sound alike and I think as long as your name has at
least one letter different, you should be okay.  But hey, I'm not an
attorney. (I once heard it said that every new business should have an
attorney, an accountant, and a banker/financer.)

Our business name was "E.M. Broidery" and we spent over four years
explaining to folks we were not "Embroid Me".  I would think you might have
an issue if an actual "Embroid Me" was very close to you and considered your
direct competition.  They might be prompted to bring out the big guns.  Not
to mention the fact that you might lose business to unknowing would-be
customers that get the two names confused.

As for software, start out with the "Design Shop" (2nd level) version
because you will quickly outgrow "Design Shop Lite".  With all you'll have
on your plate running a new business, you should shop the majority of your
digitizing out to someone who does it for a living.  You should find plenty
of leads at the ISS show. If you want to begin to learn digitizing, you can
do quite a bit with the "Design Shop" (regular) level.  If you pursue
digitizing, you can upgrade to "Pro" or "Pro+" years down the road when your
talents require it.

Maximum table space is a good thing for spreading out garments when hooping
or cutting "backing" off of large rolls.  I'm a big believer of "Peg Board"
because you can hang a lot of items up and out of the way like spools of
thread and hoops.  Shelving is always good but make sure all your
"furniture" is "dusting friendly".  You'll come to appreciate good lighting
the first time you have to re-thread a needle as it will put your eyesight
to the test.

Be sure to get to know the technician, that services machines in your area,
on a first name basis.  If they're like me, they might also be trainers,
digitizers, and operators as well and can help you with suggestions based on
their own experience and the many other shops they've seen.  Although some
consultations are not always free, they can be a wise investment.  The
service technician will/should be a part of your business life long after
your warranty expires.  I've had customers who own other brand machines that
have pleaded with me to attempt to fix their machines so they wouldn't have
to pay for airfare, lodging, and the minimum charge to have the factory
trained tech for their brand machine fly out to their location.

If you can swing the funds, starting with two machines will be wise.  Not
only will it double your output from the get go, but if one machine happens
to give you any kind of issues, your production will only be reduced by 50%.
If you have only one machine and you have troubles, you'd be reduced to 0%
production.  I'm not suggesting you will have a lot of problems but you just
never know - especially since you'll be new to the industry.  Also,
troubleshooting problems yourself will be a little easier if you have a
second machine to compare the first one to.  ...Let's say, if you forget to
put the presser foot down on only one machine.

Be sure to get the version "Flex Plus" of Amaya OS (Operating System).  That
is the software that runs the machines.  If you only buy the "Flex" version,
then you won't be able to run your machines independent of one another.
You'll only be able to run one or both together with the same design like a
two head conventional machine.  The "SE" version is only for single head
operation.

Definitely not least...  Don't overlook the power of training.  Without
proper training, you will sometimes feel like you're in the dark.  And don't
stop seeking out training just because you've had your initial training.
Everyday, try to learn something new.  This industry is continuously
changing and Melco is always pushing the technology envelope.

Good luck and call if you have any specific questions.

Ed Orantes
Melco Authorized
  Technician & Trainer
New Orleans, La