[amayausers] Re: I need the real story ;;;PLEASE

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:57:01 -0600

I'll chime in on this one.
        I was cautioned as well by a Melco competitor before we purchased our
first
Amaya about a plastic reciprocator (main device that drives the needle up
and down).  Truth be told, the reciprocator is in fact made of metal.
Is there plastic in the Amaya?...  Certainly there's plastic.  However, this
isn't the same plastic that they make McDonald's toys out of.  The
technology in plastics these days would blow you away if you could see
what's available.  Maybe "space-aged polymers" would sound a little better
than simply "plastic".  Keep in mind that any and all plastic parts have
been "engineered" into the design of the Amaya and were not an after
thought.  Plastics has it's advantages as well.  Lighter parts can be
attributed in part to it's increased speed ability- and without sounding
like a train going off it's tracks.
Sometimes plastics can be used in areas where "break-away" parts are
needed -similar to the role a fuse plays in electricity.  If something wrong
has to happen, better a $5 plastic part take the  fall rather than the
alternative with metal.

        I wouldn't want to take anything away from Tajima or Barudan as I
understand they are quality machines.  However I wasn't impressed with what
I saw in the Tajima Neo at my last service call.  I'll give it some time
because it's a brand new design utilizing a Toyota head.  The Amaya has been
out now for two years.
        Let it be known that there are no flawless embroidery machines out
there.
Whatever machine you decide on is going to need to be kept maintained
(clean, lubricated, etc...).  And the quality of the embroidery is not only
going to rest on the shoulders of the machine.  How well you know the
embroidery trade, your machine and software, it's abilities, it's
limitations, fabrics, consumables(thread, bobbin, needles)and more will all
play a major role in your successful business.

        Not much experience with Barudan but I've heard Tajima isn't the best at
hand holding for entry level embroiderers.  Melco is very strong in that
area.
The new "Flex" software recently released for the Amaya is really good. (Of
course for two or more machines.)
Make sure you're put in touch with a good "Digitizer" until you've mastered
it yourself.  The elders say that could take up to five years at 40 hours a
week to accomplish.  Many people will curse the machine when it's the design
that needs fixin'.

Good Luck.

Ed Orantes
Independent Amaya Technician