[amayausers] Re: How many True Type fonts will Windows XP support: Answer

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:22:45 -0600

Hi Ed,

 Yes, you can load hundreds of fonts if you want to. But, there are
sacrifices in performance and speed if you do. Windows has to read, index
and register every font in the font folder when it is started which will
increase boot time. Each and every font holds a place in the Windows
registry file that makes it bigger and gives Windows more to do to read it.
And, if one of those hundreds of fonts gets corrupt or bad, now you have a
hang of Windows and in many cases you may not be able to determine why. Who
would suspect a font?

 It is best to keep the amount of fonts in the fonts folder to a minimum.
Use a second folder or storage folder to keep fonts in that you may only use
once in awhile. There is tons of stuff about font management on the
Internet. I found a real good article at
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1786005,00.asp. This article is
written from the point of view to optimize your PC for best performance.

 Jeff Banks