[amayausers] Re: Hooping

  • From: "Michael Walker" <walkermaj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:15:34 -0600

Hey folks,

I am amazed but not surprised but we all seem to do it a little different.
Here is my process.  I was never able to hoop backing and fabric, never
could get both pieces with the same tension.  If one was tight the other was
loose.  Gave up.  I have for many years and still today only hoop the fabric
and then add either tear away adhesive backing which does give me adhesive
build up on needles that you have to watch or spray adhesive on either cut
away or tear away backing.  I have the best luck with the spray adhesive and
either cut away or tear away.  The only down side is that it adds additional
steps of having to spray your pre cut backing material and cleaning your
hoops every so often with some denatured alcohol to remove the adhesive
buildup.  I most recently used the spray adhesive for three soccer teams
worth of navy blue fleece sweats.  They turned out very nice but left a
pretty ugly build up of adhesive and navy fleece on the back.  Alcohol did a
nice job of removing the adhesive albeit a little slow and needed a little
elbow grease but it will not attack the plastic as some other solvents will,
ie. acetone and MEK.  One fluid I have also used for years for removing
residual adhesive is WD-40, works great especially adhesive retail price
labels on glass.  Good luck Herb!

Mike
Ginny's Place, LLC
walkermaj@xxxxxxxxxxx