[amayausers] Hook question

  • From: Captain Gold <captaingold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:31:24 -0500

I've been working on a problem with Jeff Banks (who is now on vacation), so
I thought I'd continue my quest here.

Here's what's happened so far.

I'm stitching several free-standing lace designs in my 14 x 11 hoop. I had
a thread break indicator. What really happened was that the thread didn't
catch at the beginning of a color change (needle 15 to needle 1). I
re-threaded and tried again with the same results. Since it really doesn't
matter (each design is separated enough) I shifted the hoop up and to the
right (as you face the machine) slightly to get away from the holes created
in the first two tries. I started it and on the second downward stitch I
got a z-axis tracking error.

Shutting the machine down doesn't re-set the needle.

Jeff walked me through some steps to determine cause, and I found a thread
caught in the hook (left side as you face the machine). No amount of effort
would free the thread, including oiling the area. So, the next step was to
take the retaining finger off again to allow the hook to rotate. Around the
outer edges of the hook are some real tiny screws what hold the races or
track pieces onto the hook assembly. I tried to remove these tiny screws to
get access to the inner basket and track where the thread is balled up. The
right side came free with no problem, but the left (where the thread is)
won't unscrew.

Unless someone has a different suggestion, I'm guessing that I'll need to
replace the hook (do I want the low oil or regular hook? I can order on
Monday when Melco is open again). I will then need someone to walk me
through hook timing since I've never had to do that yet. Does anyone have
the time and inclination to help me out with this, please? I'm pretty
technically savvy (I tear apart and build computers), but definitely want
an expert to walk me through.

Thanks,
Connie

Wyvern Productions