[amayausers.com] Re: Holes in tshirts

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:07:07 -0500

Because teeshirts are the absolute worst garbage material you can think
of embroidering on...most shops won't even touch them.
You need several layers of 3 oz. backing just to get a stable base...
standard teeshirts are only 5.5 to 6.5 oz. material, decent 100% cotton
heavyweights might be 7 oz., and some of the real good premium weight
shirts can be 8 oz.
But it is not a pique knit or poplin, heavy weave material-it's a lightweight
fabric that just isn't made for embroidery.
You have to back off on density-the needle is making the holes, the thread is
tightening up and exposing it-and the material
itself will rip easily, very very easily, so after you've punched a hundred holes in a half inch area for embroidery-then the thread tightens up and pulls it in...
instant hole!
I won't do teeshirts. Period!
Just not worth embroidering on anything that costs LESS than the thread
price to sew on it.
The only way around it is a ton of backing-then it looks and feels like you
have a patch sewn on the inside of the shirt and is very noticeable.

My opinion...
Roland

Sunrise Graphics
116 Main St
Claremont, NH 03743
603-543-1324
NO PC or WORD files accepted!
Anything with .doc, .xls, .wvm, .txt, is automatically deleted. We have NO ability to view, read, or process any files from any Windows or PC based programs. Preferred method of files is PDF for invoices, page documents, etc. but not for graphics. Photoshop (v.6) for images to be digitally printed. ANY sign and logo work must be supplied in Vector lineart (macromedia Freehand) without any compression or .eps.
signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Feb 12, 2008, at 11:52 AM, Darlene Weber wrote:

Can anyone give me some ideas as to why I get holes in tshirts when I am stitching lettering on them???

Thanks!