[amayausers.com] Re: Got HeatPress, Got Dazzle (100%Poly), Got No Idea What Heat Applied Product to Use!

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:16:01 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/11/11.html#000007

Because you can only apply one color at a time (due to the adhesive carrysheet)
yes, you have to charge for every color!
I have a 'basic' price for everything from iron on lettering to making banners
and signs-all start with a 'base price' that includes one color, and then
add-on for extra colors by the square foot (or inch).
So a 'banner' in vinyl starts at $50 minimum, $10 per sq. ft. 2 color, $15 per
sq.ft, 3 color $18, etc. Since I work in vector lineart all day long for past
15 years-once I setup for 1 color-the work is already done for multi colors-I
just grab the outlines and click the new color and change the rolls in the
cutter. For iron ons-a one color teeshirt, small front pocket area name, large
number/last name on the back (team sport type of order) I get $15.00 Extra
colors depend on how much material is used-so a 10" number on the back, that
needs a 2nd color outline all around the number-uses the same amount of heat
seal vinyl-90% of it wasted. So that would be another $10 just for the back
number. If they wanted one color for name, different color for number-there is
no waste compared to all one color-so it is $10 for the back, plus I would
charge another $3-4.00 for the extra time/work-that's all.
Take your roll of material (15" x 10' for example) and you can only use 13" of
that-so you are paying for 13% waste material.
Divide the price you paid including shipping, divide by the actual usable
square inches, and you now have your cost. Triple this at least...and that will
give you what you would charge per square inch for the total 'box' around the
name/number in vinyl you use.
Let's say $50 for a 10' roll-works out to 3¢ an inch for cost. Times 3= 9¢ a
square inch or $12.96 PER SQUARE FOOT of material. An 8" number with a 3" name
over it will fit in a square foot. Make sense now? I know heat seal vinyl isn't
$50 per roll but that was easier to do the math.
Roland