[amayausers] Re: Free Standing Lace

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:06:50 -0600

        Don't forget to keep in mind the old saying in Sales:  You don't sell
something for what it's worth, try to sell it for the maximum price someone
is willing to pay for it.  Obviously you must consider your market and
determine if the time invested will produce worthwhile returns.  That also
means even if you just simply enjoy doing that kind of embroidery for the
heck of it.  But since most of us need to make the big bucks to pay the
bills,...   I'd start out high.   You can always drop the price.  It really
looks like some kind of specialized and delicate type of work.  That alone
should drive the price up.  Maybe you could group the pieces you do into,
say, three categories.  ie: small sized FSL's = $19.99, medium sized =
$34.99, and $49.99 for the big ones.  Virtually all of our customers don't
have a clue what "stitch count" means.  "You" would determine how many
stitches fall into what size category.
        We don't see this type of embroidery much in our area so I would imagine
there would have to be a demand for it if one could market it correctly.
True story several times over:  an item sits on a shelf or rack in any
average location in our store and we don't sell one for weeks on end.  We
move that item to the front store window and maybe put it on a manequin or
demonstrate with a sample monogram and we sell three or four right away.
What a science marketing can be.  Maybe consider little individual gift
boxes.  Maybe try to associate it with a special occasion like the giving of
a delicate embroidered hanky to the mother of the bride.  Sometimes no price
is too high for sentimental value (depending on who you ask).
These were just a few thoughts on how to get the most for your embroidery
talents.  I haven't played with it before but now you've peaked my
curiousity and I'm going to look into this FSL idea.  Maybe you could market
them to other embroidery shops both near and far who don't have the time nor
the know how to create them themselves.
Good luck,
Ed

Ed & Maralien Orantes