[amayausers.com] Re: Font issues

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 17:22:30 UT

This message was posted by Rod or Sharon on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/895.html#000005

Another thing that will help is to use solvy on top of the T shirt.

 There is no real magic formula for the density figure. Small lettering ,
depending on the font usually will need the density to be opened up to say
somewhere between 4.8 to even 6.....lets just say, as a rule of thumb, the
smaller the lettering, the more important the higher density numbers become.....

120% on pull comp, for a default, is not all that bad for the most part. It
depends on what fonts you use most often and whether this figure works for you
. Obviously Steve has found this works for him.

I have found myself using the X and Y Pull Comp more and more in the last year
or so. The X and Y allows me to regulate the expansion rate of the fat portions
vs the skinny portions of a given font more effectively.

For the sake of an example, lets say that you have a coke bottle shaped column
that is 100 pts wide in the fat sections and 10 pts wide in the skinny section.
If we were to increase the percentage pull compensation by 100%, the fat
portion would increase by 10 pts but the skinny portion would only expand by 1
pt. Even tho the percentage of expansion is proportionate, this kind of
expansion in some fonts will quickly ruin the aesthetic look of a given font.
Script fonts and fonts like Bookman-Dak, Garamond-Dak, etc are examples when
trying to sew them small.

The X and Y pull comp will, on the other hand, let you regulate the expansion
by adding points to each side of the column. If you entered a 2pt figure in the
box, then 2pts of width, will be added to both sides of the column, along the
entire column width regardless of whether it is the fat portion of the coke
bottle example above or the skinny portion of it. You will get a total of 4
points of pull comp expansion in this example.

Lots of time, I will use both percentage and X,Y pull comp to get the look I
want and definitly will use the Minimun Column Width to help control really
skinny areas in a column. For the most part, most folks should not have this
setting at less than 10 points until they thouroughly start  to understand how
column width is affecting their sewing and machine operation in relation to the
type of material they are sewing on.

Enough for now.....

Rod Springer
Amaya Tech & Trainer