[amayausers.com] Re: Font

  • From: "Rod or Sharon" <springer37@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:38:46 -0700

Good morning Roland!

The higher the number on thread, the lighter weight or thinner the thread is.
There are few companies who even offer 60 weight thread---Madeira being one of
them---and then in select colors like primary colors.  It has been a few years
since we purchased 60 weight thread from Madeira and then only in the primary
colors.

Almost all Poly thread is 40 weight.  If I were to take Arc, Isacord or Madeira
and sew with them, I probably could not tell the difference.  If I used the 60
weight in comparison to 40, I could.  Arc didn't carry 60 weight.  Bobbin
thread is 60 weight.

Be careful you aren't looking at a color number instead of weight--ha ha--I did
that once!

If you are doing a letter in line art and you used a 60 weight thread, I am
guessing it got buried into the fabric so the 40 weight would fill in the
hidden stitches better.  If there was any texture to the fabric like Pique,
that is a given.

If you are doing really small lettering, however,  like below a quarter of an
inch, the 60 weight is great because it keeps the small openings of the letters
open....did that make sense?

Did that help at all?

Have a good day!
Sharon