[amayausers.com] Re: Font

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:19:05 -0500

Sharon...I had assumed that the bulk of my thread was 60 wt...
now I am not sure! It's so easy to confuse me lately...
but the 'lettering' I changed thread on is actually 'line art'-the letters
are part of a logo and are not a 'typed font'- the letters are made from
nothing more than single line satin, maybe 6 or 7 line width. I'd have to check-it's pretty narrow. Using the ARC thread (still got a couple spools to use up) the lines were pretty ragged, so I grabbed a sample spool from Madeira that is labeled as #40...didn't change a needle or anything in the digitizing-and the 'letters' came out cleaner and bolder. So I thought the ARC thread was 60 Wt, and using a 40 (I thought heavier) made the difference. So if you can throw some quick and painless 'education' my way on what in
the heck the threads are it would help!
I thought the lower the thread 'weight', the higher the needle number used.
(30 wt thread, #80 needle, etc.)?

Roland R. Irish III

www.sunrisegraphics.org
signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sunrise Graphics
116 Main St
Claremont, NH 03743
603-543-1324
Check out our 'instant' catalogs
http://www.plasticpromotions.com/?ID=SS850825D
http://www.healthypromotions.com/?ID=SS850825D
http://www.thewritepromotion.com/?ID=SS850825D

On Jan 18, 2010, at 3:33 PM, theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

This message was posted by Rod or Sharon on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by clicking here: http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/1143.html#000002

Roland,
I have to ask, what weight thread are you sewing with normally? We sew most embroidery with 40 weight thread but when we want very small, crisp lettering, we drop to a 60 weight thread so it isn't heavy and leaves nice, crisp tiny letters. We also use a smaller needle such as a 65/9. Typically, we sew with a 75/11. Your suggestion to use 40 weight for small, crisp lettering throws me. Yes, for most of our lettering we do use 40 weight thread---I am talking really small lettering like .18.
Sharon