[amayausers.com] Re: Expanded Files

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 16:22:19 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/931.html#000004

The client owns their 'design', but (as has been held up in court) they do not
own proprietary 'files' needed for production of that image. Digitized files
for embroidery, vectorized files for vinyl cutting, files for digital
printing-etc.-the client does pay 'for'...but does not OWN the files. They
remain the property of the company producing the item.
And most of us do 'take the high road', although I have never once given a
client my 'digitized' files, whether for the vinyl plotter or embroidery.
Period. Those are for my machinery and generally they haven't paid me to just
produce the file-they paid me to do whatever setup was necessary to produce
their logo on a product I supplied.