[amayausers.com] Re: Embroidering Barber Capes

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:54:43 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/1035.html#000003

John, if you have the same 'commercial' cape that a client brought me to
screenprint years ago-it isn't a textile-so there is no 'weave' of threads.
It's pure poly-like a vinyl or plastic, that may have a 'pattern' to simulate
thread. Look close, I mean real close at it-can you pull the fabric and see
separate threads? If you can't-then it's like a plastic bag-and embroidery is
going to do nothing more than create thousands of 'holes' just like
perforations in paper towels. One good yank, and that embroidery will pull
right out like a 'patch'.
Like he says for leather-you are going to have trouble. If this is the material
you have...I personally would say no...because they are not going to last long.
Easier to sublimate or direct print. Very slight chance-if you have a 'used
one' to play on-after embroidery, from the back-run around the holes with
stitch saver (or super glue) and it should 'bond' the material back together.
As for embroidery on 'used' items...well...from experience...best not to. Only
good thing about 'used' and washed items-if they are going to shrink-they
already have. You don't have to worry about puckering!
Good luck.
Roland