[amayausers] Re: Eagle design

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 12:06:47 -0500

actually 'using' the Philly's bird can open a can of worms....sorry
for the joke...but you will find
that it is a trademarked, copyrighted, registered mascot.
Using a 'similar' style from the many clip art collections though
won't be a problem if you can
find it digitized, or digitize it yourself from vector line art.
If you only have the Dakota 'treasure chest' they also have a full
'mascot' line you can buy
if the job warrants it, or you should be able to see all the mascots
in it on their website and if
one fits, just buy that one.
If the school is still in the process of changing their logo, maybe
you can get some samples fast
and give them some input before they settle on a design...if students
are involved they may not have
any idea about copyright violations....or even decent artwork.
I had a cheerleader squad 'redesign' the school logo here (the
Cardinal) and they never consultated
even the art teacher...we ran the shirts off only after loosing the
argument with their advisor over poor artwork
Fortunately, this was a subcontract through another shop that was
doing their embroidery (we weren't doing it at
the time) and he also had no artistic ability.
Shirts were delivered...week later the group was in OUR business
wanting all new shirt design (they didn't know
we had printed the first ones for their 'regular supplier').
No one would wear the first design-instead a 'cardinal' character-
everyone was calling it a 'porcupine with web feet'
and they were embarrassed by it.
I reworked a standard clip art 'Cardinal' mascot to reflect their
image and got the 'new' job.

A lot of the stock 'clipart' for graphics can be taken apart and
moved around-I've moved mascot 'heads' to different
bodies, etc.-so a Cardinal head is on a football player that
originally was a bear or something-you just have to work
with scaling and modifying...then when you get it done, slide it over
to designshop and digitize it.
Search for clip art CD's...I am loading in a half dozen full CD's of
corporate logos and mascots right now I bought
at the recent sign show in New Jersey...can't wait to see what's
there. It is all Mac and PC so if I find it on my mac, it
is there in PC for design shop.

Roland

Sunrise Graphics
116 Main St
Claremont, NH 03743
603-543-1324
Preferred method of files is PDF
to our email-we are all MAC based graphic programs here
signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx