[amayausers.com] Re: Designs and canceled orders charges?

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:06:20 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/10/66.html#000001

I would immediately send them a certified letter WITH A BILL for the
artwork-because it belongs to YOU, not them!
And if by chance you know the shop doing the order-call them-and if they
haven't done the order yet-just suggest that THEY might also have to pay YOU
for using copyrighted artwork you own!
You do NOT have to officially 'copyright' artwork to own it-you just have to
prove YOU did the design work and the customer didn't pay for it!
I had to haul a toy shop into court-he took my sign design and had another shop
build the sign...and because I took 'screenshots' of the folder open on my
computer with all his files and the dates on them, then printed out all the
designs and workups..the judge said I proved I owned the design! Even though
his logo was part of it-I owned the sign layout.
Don't get screwed out of it-your time is your money.
Normally I also include basic 'design' as part of a tee shirt order-but tell
them up front they don't get the design to use for anything else or they have
to pay for it. Now, for your use-from here on in-you NEVER EVER give a customer
the design in printed form-period! They have to come to YOU to approve it. If
you have to deal with a committee for approval-then right across the design-you
have to have printed (do this in your artwork program) your logo, name &
address-and
COPYRIGHT 2008 (or soon, 09) and that will prevent someone else from scanning
it to use it to steal the order!
It's going to get worse, not better...clients are going to get 'free' artwork
from us all and run to 'another shop' that will do the job cheaper (because
they don't have to do the artwork!) so protect yourself!
Remember---there are 'graphic agencies' that do NOTHING but make designs and
logos for people. THey get $50 or more per hour...and they don't print the
shirts, or the business cards, or sew the jackets. All they do, is create
artwork and get paid to do that. So why should any of US do the same thing for
free? NEVER feel guilty charging for artwork-your TIME is your money!