[amayausers] Re: Design Pro not saving changes

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:14:29 -0600

Roland,

What version you are using is easy to find, click on HELP then ABOUT. Do this in both Design Shop and AmayaOS to find what versions of the software you are using.

There should not be 2 files with the same name unless they are saved to 2 different folders. If you are going to OPEN and seeing the same design name twice in the same folder, you have a problem with the Windows operating system. If you are referring to the Recent File Names listing near the bottom of the File Pull Down Menu, having the same file name twice is possible if the same file is saved to 2 different folders or places.

Design Shop uses Windows Operating system for file operations. So, if a file is saved, the program calls Windows functions, tells it to save it etc. There are numerous reasons Windows XP (I am assuming you are using XP) may not save a file correctly. One is that the file may be a Read Only file. If the file originally was design from a CD or Stock Collection it probably is marked as Read Only. If the file is marked Read Only, then changes will not be saved to it. To check if it is marked as Read Only, when you go to OPEN in Design Shop, right click on the file with the mouse then click on Properties. At the bottom are some boxes, one of them is Read Only. If this box is checked, Windows will not save changes or over write the file. Another reason changes may not get saved is the Write Behind Cache in Windows XP. By default, the Write behind Cache is turned on. What this does is keep in memory the changes to a file, then will write to the file when you are not trying to do something on the computer. This is done for speed, but can cause issues because of the delay in writing the changes to the file. The write behind cache can be disabled but this is a last resort and should not be done unless all other reasons have been eliminated. Other reasons include Viruses and Spyware. If the computer is used on the Internet and you do not have Anti-Virus Software and a good Spyware remover, then chances are about 100% you have either a Virus of a Spyware or both on the computer. These programs must be kept up to date as well. Just having them is not enough. If they are not kept up to date they are useless.

Now, it is time to find out if the problem is a Design Shop or AmayaOS problem, or perhaps a Windows issue on your computer.

1) Please tell me what versions of the software you are using.
2) Please explain EXACTLY what steps you are doing. I.E. Open the file in DS, save the file, go to AOS, load file etc.
3) Please check the file to see if it is a Read Only file. One way to eliminate this problem is to always save it to a different file name as a new file will never be Read Only.
4) After saving it in Design Shop, do you re-open it and check to see if the changes were saved? If not, please do so, and then let me know if they were saved or lost. This will eliminate the step of loading it into AOS and sewing it without knowing first if the changes were saved. It will also tell us if the problem is a Design Shop issue or if it is an AmayaOS issue.

This is a start to determine your problem. Answers to the above questions will help lead us to the answer.

Jeff Banks
Melco Embroidery Systems

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>