[amayausers.com] Re: Could the cap frame be my problem?

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:36:43 UT

This message was posted by Mel Holm on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/1224.html

I have a HORRIBLE time with hats. I have watched the video about 1000 times. I
ruin more hats than I make. I actually break out in sweats when a potential
customer asks me if I do hats.

I have tried cheap and expensive, doesn't matter. Ever since I got my machine
almost 4 years ago, I have always had a suspicion that my cap frames are the
issue. I know that sounds wierd, but I cannot keep a hat from moving during the
stitch process unless the hat bill is under the "bill stop" on the cap frame.
In the video he says "not like this, but like this" where he shows to not bend
it under the stop. To just butt the bill up to it. then take the strap and
bring it across the front of the hat. I do that and then the strap does not
"mesh" with the grabby parts on the frame.

This is so hard to explain!!!! With the strap teeth into the seam and connected
but not clipped shut, I then take the hat and bill and push it under the stop,
then clip the clamp shut. When I go to put the bill in the bill clamp, it
pushes the hat back up to where the teeth then come up together and hold the
hat in place. The bill is then bent very badly and alot of times it will rub on
the machine when stitching. I have to put tape on the bill to keep it from
being rubbed so bad that the hat is ruined. I know that this should not be the
way it is done. But absolutely every single time that I do it like the video,
it is a ruined hat.
This is on small designs and larger designs.

So ---I am thinking that maybe it is the cap frame. Of course Melco when I
approached them was of course it is all me. After 4 years of this it is always
the same result. either bend the cap out of shape or have a ruined hat! PLUS I
cannot get a design that has a straight bottom..... to be straight. It will
curve ever so slightly up on one side. the cap will look straight. the strap
will be straight across the seam, but always curved.
I hate to get new cap frames at over $200 a piece! But not sure what else to
try. This should not be this difficult! Sorry, I hope that maybe someone can
understand what I am saying. If not, well I guess I got to vent.
Thanks for anyone willing to listen.
Melinda