[amayausers] Re: Cold transfers

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:32:09 -0400

Good morning!
I've been doing transfers for years....
easiest way to find out is to have some trash teeshirts-
set up your iron to the correct temp, make sure you have good pressure
when it closes...most problems come from wrong temp or not enough
pressure.
Are the transfers screen printed, inkjet, digital print vinyl, or
sublimation? Makes
a difference.
Usually 'cold' application means it has to cool off to just 'warm',
some transfer
materials will smear or lift off if peeled too soon. Sublimation
decals can actually
leave a double image if the paper is moved when the decal is hot.
I've got some materials here that call for cold peel, yet the paper
sticks to the iron
platen and actually lift right off after I raise the head...and the
image is perfect.
Others, like some of the thick Stahls vinyl-if it is warm at all-the
vinyl won't cure to the
fabric and it starts peeling off-so you have to set the head right
down for another cycle.
My procedure for anything except inkjet print decals is to set up a
shirt, iron the decal,
after the cycle set the shirt flat on a counter and load the next
one. By the time that
shirt is under the iron, the first shirt is ready to peel. If it is a
'cold peel' and definitely
can't be rushed-usually those have a mylar (clear thick plastic)
backing-then I just stack
them and wait until I'm done-flip the stack over and start peeling
and folding.
Inkjet decals-have to be done fingerburning hot-or the paper will
bond to the image and
the only way to get it off is reheat and peel hot-and hope the image
doesn't fuzz out.
I've stopped using that type of decal now-it was only good for white
shirts anyways.
Hope this helps!
Roland

Sunrise Graphics
116 Main St
Claremont, NH 03743
603-543-1324
Preferred method of files is PDF
to our email-we are all MAC based graphic programs here
signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx