[amayausers] Re: Baseball Caps

  • From: "Linen Barn" <linen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:36:14 -0700

Some people say I am too low priced (customers) and some say I am not low
enough but I just do what works for me.  I have 13 heads so sometimes I can
take less $$$ for certain jobs especially if I think it will work into more
business.  I now do company logos (some are big accounts) for many of the
people I met through Little League and get tons of referals as well.  I try
to keep my prices affordable for Little League cause I know they are on a
budget and I like to see these kids running around with nice hats and
jackets.

I charge $2.50 to do names on the back.  I require they bring the whole team
at once or the price doubles.  I put sponsors or leage names on for $2 (I
usually do 150-500 at a time).  If I make the hats for them I usually charge
between $8-10 per cap and then add backs for an extra $1.  I can usually do
60+ names a day on 1 machine while still keeping my other 12 heads running.
By doing this I have taken I would guess 80% of the Little League hat
business from the major sporting goods store here in town.  This also gives
me the opportunity to do the Allstar Caps as well as Allstar Jackets which
are usually full backs so I make some decent $$$.  Depending on the year we
do anywhere from 100 - 250 allstar jackets a year and close to 1000 caps for
allstars alone.  Most the leagues use the MLB hats from outdoor cap for
leage hats and we just add backs to them but Allstars the caps are usually
more custom.

As you can probably tell this time of year is big with baseball and add on
top of that the High School Baseball and Softball (just doing a order of 60
warmups for 1 of the 6 local high schools I deal with).

One important thing I have learned over the last several years is to not
accept checks from each parent seperatly.  You get too many bounced checks.
I require cash or money order or league check at the time any allstars
jackets are picked up.  This saves lots of hassle.  I do accept personal
checks from a handful of people that I have dealt with for 5+ years.

Aaron Sargent
The Linen Barn
linen@xxxxxxxxxxx
541-770-2957