[amayausers.com] Re: Backing for Knitted Winter Hats

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:15:42 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/4/618.html#000004

We do a large batch of the high loft ski hats for a local contractor every
fall-using the 6" speed frame. Posted notes on it last year...and use 3oz.
tearaway with clips to hold it on the speed frame.
center the hat on the frame (inside out) so the foldup 'edge' is on the
backing, gently pull the fabric as you tighten the clamp so that your 'ribs'
pull back to vertical lines. The logo is some lettering but mostly large fill
'initials' for the logo. After sewout, pull the hat off, and then stretch both
hands inside the hat-and the tearaway almost falls out-very little left to pick
off. The client did NOT want the 'patch' affect you get with cutaway-they
wanted it sewn like the commercial hats in the stores. On other clients with
smaller lettering or detail, we also use a layer of solvy on top. Again, don't
try picking off any solvy until you have 'stretched' the hat-you'll see all the
tearaway and solvy pop right off the stitches.
Roland