[amayausers.com] Re: Artwork Programs and Design Shop

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:01:21 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/3/150.html

I'm no computer genius...but thought I'd pass this along for others like me
that run into snafu's when trying to get custom artwork into DesignShop for
digitizing...
I get the same problems with custom artwork for my sign/screenprinting jobs and
engraving.
With the new Adobe CS 'system' (illustrator, photoshop CS, etc.)
it seems a lot of 'graphic artists' and agencies can't get the newest, latest
upgrade fast enough...so every time I turn around they are throwing new artwork
at me and expect ME to be able to work with THEIR files! I can't keep up with
it-and I refuse to keep buying upgrades just because THEY don't know how to
save/export as an older version.
So where do our problems start? With the Amaya-its DesignShop that is causing
the problems. Okay, before Melco techs jump all over me...it isn't really a
problem in Designshop...but WHEN your version of Design was created/released!
Yes, it will work with illustrator files-but-here's the big secret-ONLY the
version of illustrator (for example) that was CURRENTLY IN USE by the techs at
Melco when they produced that version of DesignShop! So any 'upgrades' to
Illustrator (or Corel, photoshop, whatever) that came out AFTER that particular
Designshop version was finished are NOT really compatible! You may be able to
import the artwork-but wonder why it just doesn't work right? that's why!
So you need to let your clients/artists know that no matter WHAT program they
think is the hottest-greatest-newest etc.-the files they send to YOU should be
dropped down a couple versions. I try to get everything from illustrator
dropped down to Illustrator 3 or 5- no higher-and for all my engraving, vinyl
cutting, I have to drop it down to illustrator 1.1 (anyone remember THAT old
version?) Since I run one cutter off Flexi 4-a FIFTEEN YEAR OLD version-nothing
over 1.1 will work with it!
So I hope this tidbit helps...no matter what graphic program you work
with-DesignShop is a year or two behind in the version it will work with! No
fault of Melco-it just takes time to develop new programming and 'the other
guys' are developing THEIR programs faster than they can keep up with it.
I know-all you computer geek nerds are making rude noises at me but I'll admit
it-I don't do computer stuff-and don't need a pocket protector either, so
THERE!....  LOL...
Macs Rule!