[amayausers] Re: Amaya Specific Digitizers

  • From: "Rod or Sharon" <springer37@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:24:40 -0600

John, Bob,
My personal opinion on "Amaya specific" digitizing....... I do believe that
the digitizer who "owns an Amaya, and who verifies the digitized designs on
the Amaya is a definite plus for the customer. That is not to say that there
are not some really good digitizers out there that are savy to the different
quirks of the different embroidery machines on the market.

It is very difficult to digitize for caps with some designs....How do you as
the digitizer quote a fair price and not verify a complex design on a cap or
two or three. Do we throw in the cost of these caps on the digitizing cost,
thereby raising the price of the digitized design? Do we come up with a make
shift, make believe cap to put on the cap driver to verify the design......?
It is a time consuming affair at best and usually not very profitable,
taking into consideration the time factor. Those people that choose to sub
out their digitizing are not completely dumb. Sure, the simple, easy to put
together logo or name, etc.......those are things that you can take care of
yourself, but throw in a complicated, complex design and it very quickly
gets to the point of ridiculous with the time factor.

Digitizing for flats is always a challenge by it's self and then CAPS!!! I
have found I can now do pretty fair at  digitizing most designs for a cap
but still struggle with oval and/or circular borders pulling, stretching,
distorting and God only knows what else. Each brand and style of cap can
exhibit a different characteristic with the same design, making it necessary
to then, "edit" the design slightly.

Using good underlay techniques is critical to getting some caps to sew out
well.  Nailing down the center seam on a cap by adding a manual double
zigzag across the seam and/or filling the seam line with vertical stitching
and then using a wider manual cross hatch underlay over the rest of the
design, will help tack the cap down and not allow for the cap to move or
shift or whatever it does to mess up the sew out. Oh, and then given a
perfectly digitized design......nothing can correct for an improperly hooped
cap. If it is loose and floppy, ,,,,, well, kind of like the old computer
programmer saying,,,,,,,,,,garbage in, garbage out!!!

Now having said all that, does the Amaya need to be digitized for
specifically? I would say there are some "ifs" involved in that question.
The biggest "if" is the speed at which you want to operate at. The faster
the speed, the more the different materials are going to "pull/push." So
digitizing  and being able to verify at high speed is a plus. The fact that
the Amaya is more precise in its needle placement will create narrower
columns making it necessary for the operator to add some extra pull comp in
these areas......

The technology introduced into the Amaya software and the design of the
machine has just made it necessary for the operator to "learn" new ways to
embroidery. The Amaya/Design Shop software has given the operator tremendous
flexibility ,but, only "if" ( there is that "if" word again), they are open
and willing to take on this new learning curve.

I would hesitate going so far as to say that the Amaya "must" be digitized
for specifically. If this were the case, you would not be able to sew out
any of the pre-digitized designs from , Dakota, Great Notions, Embroidery
Library, etc......with success. Will editing these designs by reducing the
stitch counts, tweaking the densities, stitch lengths, etc, help them to sew
better on the Amaya...you bet. But even  a good digitizer will send someone
a design that has been digitized on his Amaya, will need some minor tweaking
on the customers machine. The differences in machines, the different
materials, backings, hooping techniques, needles, threads...the list goes
on.......it just means that the digitizer hopes to get it "right" as close
as they can.....regardless of the machine used.

Was that ...wishy---washy enough for a long winded answer ;-)).

Rod Springer
Melco Certified Tech