[amayausers] Re: Airwaves transfer instructions?

  • From: "Body Cover" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:48:45 -0800

Hi Veena,
I know Roland gave some info,
and I am NOT saying it is wrong but we all do things differently
and I thought you may benefit from our workaround and you can try to find
what works for you.

First of all you definitely want to press the shirt before you put the transfer
on,
every time! especially with cotton. Cotton absorbs moisture out of the
air and in the screen print biz this can wreak havoc with cure times, because
like a swamp cooler that makes you feel cool, it has to do with the fact that
moist air cools better than dry air,
when you press the shirt you can like Roland said just lower the platen down
and don't have to lock it down in the pressurized position, just so it make
contact
and will apply heat, most of the time you will see steam start to roll out of
the shirt.
let it heat until this steam is gone, usually around 10 to 15 seconds.
it is this steam that actually cools the transfer as it dissipates and causes
them not to adhere like they should. A difference of 15 degrees can make
a huge difference with transfers.

if you don't have a pressure setting on your machine we use this,
medium pressure (which covers 90% of the transfers) is enough
pressure that when you have the shirt in place you must put a healthy
push to get the it to lock down, Heavy pressure means you must put some
if not all your body weight to lock it down.

You say that some ink is left on the paper,
Now one thing you should know is a hot split transfer which is one
of the most popular these days, there should be half the design on the paper
and half on the shirt. Hence, the hot SPLIT name the ink actually swells
and the peeling action peels the layer into two pieces giving the design
a look and feel of a direct screen print. the important part is to not dwell
or wait to peel the sheet it is the most critical time while the ink is molten
(so to speak)
this is also why you don't put a cover sheet on the top, because after
you pull it off to access the transfer, the air drawn across can cool the
transfer and cause problems with the peel.

One way to test your self is to take one of your transfers and
cut it into 3 or 4 slices you can apply each of those separately
and try different things.
If you have problems with the top not transferring next time  pull the other
direction and see if the problem shifts to the other end.
then you'll know that it has to do with faster pull & smoother peeling.

Also the transfers you ordered if they are a one color for sports
and have a clear covering, then they are probably cut vinyl.

these are all together different, they actually have a glue backing and
the short heat time is all it takes to melt the glue and everything works great

Transfers actually melt ink and the pressure forces the ink into the shirt and
when its
cool it is ready to wear.

One last thing Puff transfers seam to change all the rules, they require lots
of pressure
and a short time usually 6 to 8 seconds.
you'll see the paper actually raised off the shirt as soon as you lift the
heating platen
grab on and pull.

please, feel free to ask any other questions, this subject can be discussed for
a long time
but it boils down to trial and error,
also try not to press through the shirts neck area, it is four time thicker
than the rest of the shirt
and will create uneven pressure if you aren't using a Teflon pillow inside the
shirt.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Good Luck
Ron Vinyard
Body Cover / Magic Stitches

1-888-435-0176
541-471-1504 Fax 541-471-0427

420 SW H Street, Grants Pass, OR 97526-2532

info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.bodycoverdesign.com