[amayausers] Re: About to Jump In!

  • From: DLCompton@xxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:26:50 EDT

I was hoping someone with more experience would offer but since I've seen
nothing through the board you're welcome to call me if you have any questions
beyond my response here.

I don't have the higher volume of some of the others nor did I  purchase
Design Shop (I wish I had the funds though) but I can relate my  experience.

I decided on the Amaya for a number of reasons (it is my first commercial
machine having had a home embroidery machine for a couple of years):

1. No tensioners (I read many articles about proper tension and I'd rather
be able to adjust "material thickness" and be able to adjust within the
design--Amaya gives the option to have the settings set by thread color)
2. Software tracking and notification of machine maintenance (before
choosing the Amaya I had an article saved so I could make a chart--software
prompts
are so much easier).
3. Direct connect to the computer (being computer knowledgeable is a
definite advantage and the no hassle of disks so that all your designs are
instantly
loadable).
4. Speed--I regularly run my stitchouts between 1100 and 1200 stitches per
minute. I have cranked it up to 1500 but many stitches can't run that fast (the
 machine will only go as fast as capable on certain stitches). At 1200
production  greatly increases - my single head will compete with other's 2 head

machines.
5. Number of needles, sewing field size, multimedia help (videos to view  how
to do things), I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of for  now.

As for learning....because I had a home machine I knew alot about thread,
needles, backing, etc. I received my machine on Oct. 1, 2002. I had it up and
running that night. I did not go to training until almost 6 months later. I've
had one part that needed attending (I think it was the presser foot
spring)--that was the only time I had the tech out until last month when I
called to
get service before the 2 year warranty was up. The tech replaced the  presser
foot (new design) that is causing some problems with the system shutting  down
at slower speeds. The tech is coming back out to replace the motor so it
will work in conjunction with the new foot.

 Any thread breaks are usually anything but the machine's fault (poor
design, presser foot not at the correct height, wrong bobbin tension,  etc.)

I don't know  about other makes but I've been pleased.

Dorothy  Compton
Bee Embroidered
_www.BeeEmbroidered.com_ (http://www.beeembroidered.com/)
(916)  635-7467
Rancho Cordova, CA

In a message dated 10/14/2004 3:14:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dsklar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi.  I am about to jump into this business.  I have done a  lot of research
on embroidery machines.  Most everyone I spoke with  emphatically says to
use Tajima or Baradan.  Amaya/Melco is at the  bottom of every ones list.  I
am enamored with the technology and what  it is "supposed" to do.  (It also
doesn't hurt that it has the most  impressive appearance!)  I have been
scanning the archives in this  list and have seen some issues.  I would like
as much input from this  users group as I can get regarding: the machine
itself, the operating  software, design shop, service (hardware and
software), training, general  support (how to do...), and anything else that
you think is notable.

It gives me a good feeling to see this user community supporting  each
other.  Thank you for you responses.  If you would like to  talk, please
send my your number and I will be happy to do it on my  dime.

David Sklar
Ballyhoo!
Arlington  VA