[amayausers] Re: 1-2 yr old used Amaya?

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:14:03 -0400

Hi Pat....it took months, and many ruined hats and unfulfilled orders...but
we have managed to get a few hats done! Had to buy the 'original' CCF hat
hooper-the wide angle one is a joke-didn't get ANY decent hats off it except
for the high crown, fully structured hats-that no one wants-they all want
the low profile unstructured....best we've been able to do was to use the
Amaya to sewout and proof a hat for a school, then sent it off to Dick and
his 12 head Barrudan....what would have taken us 3 days on the Amaya he did
in a couple of hours...with only ONE rejected hat out of 100! Our average is
5-6 rejects for ONE GOOD one!
But we get enough RETAIL hat orders that come out right, minimal digitizing,
low thread count, that it is worth it. Practice will tell...I'm buying
OttoCap hats on their 'auction' every other month just to get hats for under
a buck to practice on!
Operator error is the key...seems no matter what goes wrong that is the
first excuse, isn't it!
Plans are in the works now for an 'advanced' training class in New Jersey in
January-I'm waiting for confirmation of the facility, then see who we can
get for trainers. We'll split the costs among 6 machines (either 1 or 2
people per machine, that's all) and I'm planning on getting trainer/s to go
over better Designshop instructions, working around the bugs, and REALLY
working on OUR customer jobs-nothing out of the 'file' of practice stuff.
Also going to line up if possible donations of hats, jackets, shirts, etc.
from some of the big suppliers so we have REAL merchandise to play with.
So those that are interested let me know, and if there are 'trainers' out
there that want to spend 5 days (or six-if enough want it) in New Jersey
doing nothing but playing on the amayas...let me know!
Roland