[alpaca_fibre] Re: fiber herds

  • From: jan/nat sherrill <alpacas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:48:30 -0700

Hello BJ and Ian,
        This issue has interested me for quite awhile and there have
been long discussions on alpacasite about gelding males.  I did write
to  David Anderson suggesting that they add a topic for a vet round
table at the next winter vet  conference but didn't get far with that.

        The question of what to do with all the males who are not
going to be herdsires should be in the forefront of our minds now
before it becomes a huge problem to deal with.

         Perhaps either of  you can suggest other avenues we could go
in trying to see what the physical problems of the early geldling
would actually be?   It seems that  we should establish exactly what
the parameters are before deciding what is the best way to deal with
the non-herdsire males.  We talk a bout the long legs but wouldn't it
be useful if someone like Jerry Forstner with his huge herd actually
took a group of males and did early gelding then followed them for a
period of years?  Or took several groups and did different
treatm;ents and watched the progress.   Scientific studies aren't
that difficult to set up if you have some extra resources.

Cheers.
JanSherrrill
Celestial Alpacas
Paso Robles, CA