[alpaca_fibre] Fwd: [Alpacasite] Evaluating Micron Blowout

  • From: Ian Watt <alpacaconsult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:18:18 -0800

I thought I would send this out for those of you who do not subscribe =20=

to the alpaca list.
It is an interesting take on micron blowout in sheep and alpaca.
Perhaps someone might care to read it and perhaps translate it into =20
more user friendly terminology as some parts of it can be pretty heavy =20=

reading?
Regards,
Ian
ps sincere thanks to Ken Madl for the report

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Kenneth E. Madl" <kenneth.madl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed Feb 4, 2004  10:33:16 US/Pacific
> To: Alpaca Discussion Forum <Alpacasite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Australian =20=

> Alpaca List <AustAlpacas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Alpacasite] Evaluating Micron Blowout
>
> On Wed Feb 4, 2004, Rick Horn <alpacas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> "First note from the Moderator":
>
>> You don't care about sheep or goats?  Delete his posts, it's a
>> simple keystroke.
>

> Some people don't care about sheep or goats because they don't
> believe there's a correlation between those species (or what has
> happened in those industries) and alpacas, but they would be wrong.
>
> As an example, in Volume 50 Number 3 (Spring 2002) of "Wool
> Technology and Sheep Breeding" (which describes itself as "The
> journal for the sheep and wool industry") is an article by K. L.
> Butler and B. A. McGregor titled "A Statistical Approach for
> Evaluating Micron Blowout, with Australian Alpacas as an Example".
>
> This is their Summary:
>
>     "The existence of between-sheep variability in micron blowout and
> its possible causes have caused considerable discussion and
> controversy. It appears inadequate to define micron blowout as any
> change in observed micron with age. We suggest that problems of
> interpreting heritabilities of micron blowout can be resolved by
> using models of the form
>
>        MFD =3D Fixed Effects (including effects involving age)
>                    + ai + bi =D7 T(A)
>                    + Random Error (with constant variance),
>
>     where the symbols ai and bi are correlated, animal-specific,
> random intercept and slope effects. Australian alpacas are used as
> an example of this approach."
>

> It's a technical article, and one that would be perfect for "The
> Alpaca Registry Journal", if it is ever started again.
>

> What's interesting is their "Comparison with Australian Merino
> Sheep":
>
> "Repeatable between-age correlations for Australian alpacas (Table
> 1) are relatively similar to between-age genetic correlations that
> have been reported for Australian Merino sheep (Atkins 1990; Table
> 2). Even allowing that repeatabilities can and do include
> environmental variation of lifelong effect, as well as genetic
> effects, it would not be unreasonable to suggest that similar
> processes could be occurring with both Australian alpacas and
> Australian Merino sheep. If anything, the deviations from one of the
> genetic correlations for Australian Merino sheep are greater than
> the deviations from one of the repeatable correlations for
> Australian alpacas."
>
> The article begins with "Micron blowout has previously been
> calculated from the mean fibre diameter (MFD) of an individual
> sheep, measured at different ages, using a contrast of the MFD value
> obtained at each age (Taylor and Atkins 1992; Cottle et al. 1993,
> 1995; Hickson et al. 1995).", and then jumps into formulas.

> [...]

---
List Name: Alpaca Fibre Production
ListAddress: alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
List Administrator: Ian Watt (alpacaconsult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

"unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject line of the email.