ALICE Matters - 11 July 2011

  • From: Ian Randall <Ian.Randall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: alicematters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:24:37 +0200

     News from the ALICE Collaboration | 11 July 2011 | Volume 2 Issue XII
 Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your
browser<http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/sites/alicematters.web.cern.ch/files/html-letter/ALICEMattersVol2IssueXII.html>
.
      <http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/>
      <http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/south-african-minister-visit>

South African minister of Science and Technology visits ALICE
<http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/south-african-minister-visit>

The South African minister of Science and Technology, Naledi Pandor, visited
CERN on 22 June. The minister was accompanied by a delegation from her
department and the South African mission to Switzerland.

This event is the latest in a series of official visits of the South African
government to CERN, in order to support the South African participation in
CERN, as well as to investigate methods of knowledge transfer and other
forms of cooperation...
    <http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/mao-wan-defend-theses>

ALICE students successfully defend theses
<http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/mao-wan-defend-theses>

 ALICE members Yaxian Mao and Renzhuo Wan successfully defended their theses
on 3 June this year.

Mao - a student from the Central China Normal University (CCNU) and the
Laboratoire de Physique Subatomique et de Cosmologie, Grenoble - presented a
thesis entitled ‘Two particle correlations with photon triggers to study hot
QCD medium in ALICE at LHC’. She was supervised by Yves Schutz, Christophe
Furget and Daicui Zhou…
          <http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/lhc-stats-website>
New website displays statistics direct from
LHC<http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/lhc-stats-website>

A new website is being developed which displays timely data from the LHC and
the experiments. It is hoped that the LHC-statistics site will become a
useful tool not only for CERN’s physicists...
    <http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/cern-summer-student-first-impression>
CERN: a summer student’s first
impression<http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/cern-summer-student-first-impression>

I was overjoyed and really honoured when I was invited to CERN for a summer
internship. I am already starting to feel the excitement of this adventure,
as I have never been outside of my country before…
    <http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/focus-on-dmitri-malkevich>
Focus On: Dmitry
Mal'Kevich<http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/focus-on-dmitri-malkevich>

This fortnight, ALICE Matters had a chat with Dmitry Mal'Kevich, an
electronic engineer and PhD student who comes from the Institute for
Theoretical and Experimental Physics (ITEP), in Moscow, Russia...

    ALICE making the headlines in Estonia
<http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/alice-estonian-press>

ALICE has become a recurring feature in the Estonian press, following a
visit of a local journalist, Tiit Kändler, on 19 and 20 May this year...

          Follow ALICE on Twitter
<http://twitter.com/#%21/ALICEexperiment>| Follow
ALICE Matters on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alice-Matters/103041289764826>|