[AUG] UPDATE and an Invitation

  • From: "Jan Behrens (Holdings CHC)" <jan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <agile-users-group@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:47:22 +1300

Hi all,

Due to other commitments (I am a Dad now J), I have not been able to do
anything in terms of organising the AUG for some time now. This is
unlikely to get better for the foreseeable future. I therefore propose
to put the AUG in its current form to sleep and would encourage all
those interested in Agile to consider giving the new APN chapter
Christchurch a go. I have attached the first APN invite for those
interested. Hope to see you there!

Let me know what you think.

Cheers, Jan

*       Date: Friday 16th October 4.30 to 6.30 pm; speaker starts at
*       Place:  Clarus, Level 1, LeftClick House, corner Lichfield and
Madras Streets, Christchurch. Map here
*       Who:   All welcome.

The invitation may be sent on; however, to avoid disappointment, all
attendees should register by emailing christchurch.apn@xxxxxxxxx 5pm on
14th October.

Nancy van Schooenderwoert - Principal Coach at Lean-Agile Partners Inc.
Seven Paradoxes of Agile Software Development

Agile software development has many very common-sense ideas in it, but
if it was all common-sense we'd have been using it long ago. Agile also
contains counter-intuitive ideas: paradoxes that make it hard for people
accept. For example, the notion that we go fast BECAUSE we take quality
to the max is paradoxical for people. They are used to having to trade
off speed and quality. On the other hand the idea that those who do the
work are best placed to estimate it is seen as perfectly sensible. How
can a coherent design emerge if design is done one iteration at a time?
Another paradox. But it's easy to accept that when you build a system
iteratively, you can learn more quickly from your experiences - that's
common sense. We'll explore the 5 other paradoxes, and you'll see how a
grasp of these helps you to take your agile practices to the next level.

About the speaker
Nancy holds a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering from Rochester
Institute of Technology and is a regular contributor of articles and
advisories for the Cutter IT Journal. Nancy holds a Scrum Master
certification, has edited a column for the Agile Times, and served on
the IEEE 1648 committee to define a standard for customers of agile
teams. She has been a regular presenter at various Agile-related
conferences since 2003, and also at the Embedded Systems conference. Her
work in applying Agile methods to embedded systems has been referenced
by Jim Shore and Mary Poppendieck in their recent books. She speaks at
numerous software professional gatherings, and is currently active on
the board of Agile Bazaar, Boston's agile professional community hub.

Thanks to our Sponsors

The Christchurch APN branch is only possible thanks to the ongoing
support and generosity our of sponsors:

Thank you!

The Christchurch APN Working Group:

Richie Moyle
Cameron McEwing
Owen Woollaston
Edwin Dando
Ian Ross

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe

This email was sent to jan@xxxxxxxxx by christchurch.apn@xxxxxxxxxx

Update Profile/Email Address
kGesoMawyo6ldGB1qlNVSo27ILBfeyRBtsD1R7GWOHuA4-whKY%3D&p=oo>  | Instant
removal with SafeUnsubscribe
kGesoMawyo6ldGB1qlNVSo27ILBfeyRBtsD1R7GWOHuA4-whKY%3D&p=un> (tm) |
Privacy Policy
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp> .

Email Marketing <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=HiTech>  by

Christchurch APN | C/- PO Box 25443 | Christchurch | 8011 | New Zealand