[AUG] Just a thought....and a question

  • From: Paul.Hogan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: agile-users-group@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:42:43 +1200

Citizens of Agile,

I enjoy reading what is discussed via this email group which leads me to a
thought (yes, it did hurt) and a question.

The thought::
"As a(n) agile user group member, I would like to be able to search past
threads, grouped by topic so that I can harness the knowledge within this
group when researching Agile"

The question:
Is there any interest in using an online forum facility rather than
creating multiple email groups for various topics, or is it easier to just
keep things as they are?

Paul Hogan
Sen. Applications Developer
Statistics New Zealand
Tatauranga Aotearoa
Internal Extension : 8748
External Telephone: (03) 964 8748
Mobile: 021 062 9833

(P.S. Depending on the response, I am available to do the leg work )

             Richie Moyle
             .nz>                                                       To
             Sent by:                  agile-users-group@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             agile-users-group                                          cc
             .org                                                  Subject
                                       [AUG] Re: Scrum Board across
                                       multiple locations *** bright ideas
             22/09/2008 07:33          needed ***
             Please respond to

          Rather than using this email group for skills transfer, I think we
should try an alternative as not all will want to get bombarded with
 emails as good questions & answers arise. I will look into setting up a
seperate Scrum/Agile email group for us, but in the meantime you will find
 great feedback on the Group "Yahoo Scrum" which I believe is run by Ken
 On the point of distributed teams, I have worked on many projects like this,
some which spanned UK, Europe & India. After trying Webcams, Excell
 spreadsheets, Agile tools (like VersionOne), my teams still ended up choosing
the centralised "Information radiator" for the main office. Obviously
 this is not the silver bullet, but I believe there are examples of the virtual
whiteboard out there, not perfect as yet, but be patient.
 I will post some example sites shortly.
 The important thing (in my experience) is not to over complicate the process.
Yellow post-its/Index Cards work really well and give a good sence of
 achievement when moving them to "Done". Once we have a simple an elegant
electronic version of this, we are on to a winner (IMHO).
 Best Regards
 Richie Moyle
 Agile Coach & Project Manager
 --- On Mon, 22/9/08, David.Bales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <David.Bales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  From: David.Bales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <David.Bales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: [AUG] Re: Scrum Board across multiple locations *** bright ideas
needed ***
  To: agile-users-group@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Hi Julie,
  We currently have distributed teams in our three offices in NZ, and we have
been using a simple powerpoint approach fairly successfully - i.e. we
  have replicated the user story cards and even yellow stickies in the
presentation to represent the tactile approach. After each daily stand up we
  also print out the relevant slides and put them up on the walls, not the most
ideal solution but at least they can get to see it as though it was a
  real board. (A3 is a good size)
  Anyway, check out the attached and see if it is of any use.
  David Bales
  Development Section Manager
  Application Development and Support
  IT Solutions Group
  Statistics New Zealand
  Tel:         +64 (0)3 964 8744
  Mobile:  +64 (0) 21 124 9658
 Julie Godfrey <juliegodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent by: agile-users-group-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 22/09/2008 02:40 PM
respond to
            [AUG] Scrum Board across multiple locations *** bright
            ideas needed ***
  Hi all
  Just wondering if anyone had some good ideas of how to replicate the Scrum
Board across multiple locations?
  The project I'm on now will end up having people working in 4-5 locations..
The Scrum Board is working really well for the core project team (all
  located in Chch), but as the project expands to include resources from the
other locations, I need to figure out a way for everyone to have
  visibility of the Board.
  Any ideas will be v much appreciated.
  Can you send replies directly to juliegodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx instead of back to
everyone in the group.
  Click here SEEK New Zealand's #1 jobsite

Need a holiday? - Yahoo!Xtra Travel HTML code has been removed from this
message by the Statistics NZ email gateway. Refer
http://wpcsmail01:8080/html-manager.html for an explanation.

Find out about your local area at www.stats.govt.nz/QSAboutAPlace

====================== Correspondents: Please Note =====================
The information in this email, and any files transmitted with it, is
confidential and is for the intended recipient only.   If you receive
this message in error, please phone us toll free on 0508 525 525, or
advise the sender by reply email.

The content of any email entering or leaving Statistics New Zealand is
automatically scanned, and may be opened and read by security staff.

Statistics New Zealand makes reasonable efforts to ensure that its email
has been scanned and is free of viruses. However, Statistics New Zealand
can make no warranty that this email or any attachments to it are free
from viruses.