[adtools] questions about the GCC port

  • From: Gunther Nikl <gni@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:09:29 +0200

Hello!

I looked through rs6000/amigaos.h, rs6000/amigaos.c and rs6000/rs6000.c and
now I have questions which hopefully someone can answer.

  - TARGET_OS_CPP_BUILTINS: Most of the time builtin_define() is used.
    Shouldn't that be builtin_define_std() to let the compiler handle
    what symbol versions should be defined?
    Its probably also a good idea to move some stuff into
    TARGET_CPU_CPP_BUILTINS.

  - CPP_<clib>_SPEC: All symbol definitions should be moved into the
    compiler since builtin_define_std() knows better how to deal with
    -ansi and -std=. Since the used crt is recorded in amigaos_crt_string
    thats not all that hard.

  - clib handling: This looks very complicated. I would suggest to unify
    this as much as possible. It seems at least newlib/ixemul/libnix can
    be unified by using a "%(crt)" declaration, eg.:

      -isystem %(base_sdk)%(crt)/include
      -isystem %(base_sdk)local/%(crt)/include

    That doesn't work for clib2.

  - Does supporting little endian compilation make any sense? If not its
    possible to remove it by defining BYTES_BIG_ENDIAN/WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN.
    That way one can also disable support for TARGET_POWER[2].

  - Why is JUMP_TABLES_IN_TEXT_SECTION redefined? AFAICT the rs6000/sysv.h
    is fine.

  - Why was MASK_REGNAMES choosen as TARGET_DEFAULT?

  - TARGET_ASM_FUNCTION_END_PROLOGUE: This is used to emit the call to
    "__baserel_get_addr". Can't this be done in RTL the same way as its
    done to save the baseregister?

Thank you,
Gunther

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value
 - Jamie Zawinski