[adtools] Re: Problems building native m68k version of binutils

  • From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:07:41 +0100

Gunther Nikl <gni@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>   I got an answer: GAS versions >= 2.10 know a "mask" register (whatever
>   that shall be). bfd/libbfd.c/warn_deprecated has a static variable
>   called "mask". Since its static no underscore is prepended before its
>   emitted and that confuses GAS: it thinks the register is refererenced.
>   No patch is available. I suggest to rename the variable to work around
>   this assembler bug. Comments?

Um, sure you can rename the variable in libbfd.c, but you can't rename
all static variables called "mask" in all the programs in the world
(including those not written yet).  The compiler _mustn't_ fail to
generate working code from something just because it contains a
variable called "mask", that would violate the C standard.

What happens if you call a static variable "d0"?  I suppose the same
thing should happen to static variables called "mask".  Anyway it has
to work.  Both "mask" and "d0" are valid variable names.

  // Marcus

Amiga Development tools ML - //www.freelists.org/list/adtools
Homepage...................: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/adtools
Listserver help............: mailto:adtools-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=HELP