[adtools] Re: Need help with adding support for AmigaOS 3.x

  • From: Jens Langner <Jens.Langner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:22:58 +0100

Hello Nicolas,

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:10:02 +0100, Nicolas A. Mendoza wrote:

[...]
>> Until you told me I thought gcc 4.x would be ... bigger, better. You
>> know, the foolish thought that everything that is new and shiny has to
>> be better than the old one.
>>
>> I guess I was wrong. Happy now?
>>
>> So the only reason that is left would be that I could reduce the
>> number of installed gcc versions on my linux box from three to two.
>>

> It's not that bad, but it's basically a fresh start and
> reimplementation  of things allowing for better optimization in
> different aspects.
>
> 3.x works just fint too though ;)

And than there are of course also other opinions and thoughts. And you also
have to keep in mind that for C++ GCC 4.x has also a lot of improvements
over 3.x and even for pure C it really depends on the different type of
cases were 3.x might still be better and where 4.x has its advantages. As a
matter of fact, I still prefer a newer GCC version over an old one,
especially to get up with recent development of the GCC crew so I would
definitly vote for having incoroprated Gunther's GCC 4.x/m68k changes into
our adtools repository even if its not yet as stable as we would like to
have it, but that's exactly what our CVS repository is for. It is not only
for placing stable/working version in there it should be the
foundation/working directory to unify _development_.

So Gunther, I would still love to see your GCC 3.x/m68k and even the
GCC 4.x/m68k changes incorporated into our unified CVS if possible. We
should really get rid of the point that we have many people out there
working on own local patches/changes on GCC/binutils. If you want to
contribute to adtools from the 68k side, then please do so as soon as you
can, because it might even help yourself if others can have a look at your
changes prior to your "It's final" announcement :)

cheers,
jens
--
Jens Langner                                               Ph: +49-351-4716545
Rißweg 27b

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
-- Murphy`s laws

Amiga Development tools ML - //www.freelists.org/list/adtools
Homepage...................: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/adtools
Listserver help............: mailto:adtools-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=HELP