[adtools] Re: Need help with adding support for AmigaOS 3.x

  • From: Josef Wegner <Josef.Wegner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:14:44 +0100

> > > I have working patches for GCC4 but I didn't release them.
> >
> > It would be nice if you could share them with me.
>
>   The patches are not finished, thus I prefer not releasing them. I can
>   only repeat, *IMHO* *currently* GCC4 doesn't offer any benefit for m68k
>   systems. Use 3.3.x or 3.4.x.
Okay... I do not want to argue. The only thing is that I cannot stand
waiting and also want to be on the bleeding edge...

> > I think the only maintained compiler version is 2.9.x.
>
>   Maintained in which way?

Martin Blom (http://www.lysator.liu.se/~lcs/files/gg-cross/) is still
updating this cross-compilers based on GCC 2.95.3

> > So if the support is not added now, it is likely that the classic Amiga
> > is stuck forever with very old compiler.
>
>   GCC 2.95.x is old, but 3.3.x/3.4.x are not. The interesting question is
>   whether GCC4 has any benefits for m68k. FWIW, in my test(s) GCC4 (4.0)
>   generated slower code compared with 3.4.x even for PPC! I used
>   mpega_libmad as test application.
>
>   Note, there will definetely be a port of GCC4(.1) for AmigaOS/m68k (and
>   for PowerUp but thats a different issue).
If this is plan, it is fine for me.

-Josef
Amiga Development tools ML - //www.freelists.org/list/adtools
Homepage...................: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/adtools