[adtools] Re: License, copyright and FSF

  • From: Jens Langner <Jens.Langner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 16:21:08 +0200

Hans-Joerg Frieden schrieb:
Jens Langner wrote:
On the other hand. Is a tranfer of copyright (if this is legally
possible at all) to the FSF really required? I thought it would be
enough to have our code in line with the GPL, which in fact is the case.

Transfer of the copyright is required, as far as I remember. I remember
having to fax paperwork to the FSF for something in the past.

Well, perhaps Ben can perhaps better answer that question. But as far as I remember from the few copyright law sessions we had a uni it is not possibly to transfer your copyright. It is only possible to transfer your rights for selling something or for promotion something. But you can not, in principle, transfer your copyright. You will always the one who created that work and so you have the copyright. That the FSF is free to use and promote it as their work is AFAIR something completely different.

However, I also tend to say that we should not make this thing overly complicated. We should better focus on what we want to achieve and that's getting things running for AmigaOS. Such licensing things just steel your time and concentration :) And I agree with Staf that I also don't have any problem that in every file my name is printed. I for myself know that I have done that work and that's fine...

cheers,
jens
--
Jens Langner, Dresden/Germany