[adtools] Re: Bringing back the possibility to change the default CRT in the specs file

  • From: Andrija Antonijevic <antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:54:06 +0200 (Central Europe Daylight Time)

On 8-May-2006, Gunther Nikl wrote:

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 04:07:51PM +0200, Andrija Antonijevic wrote:
I would think using a default crt string which gets passed to cc1, is a
proper solution. You could make cc1 fail wif no -mcrt= was provided.

That was one of the things I considered: it would mean that we would have to #undef CC1_SPEC and copy its definition from sysv4.h with the addition of something like "-mcrt=%(amigaos_default_crt)".

Right, but with rs6000/ that would be a win :-)

Perhaps, but properly examining the situation for a start would definitely be a win: I pretty much invented a problem where there is none.

It still is possible to change the default CRT by changing the specs file. I have no idea why it got into my head that there is a problem there. When Nicolas wrote "These changes has led to not being able to use other c libraries thru the -mcrt=xxx method" on the list in March I replied that this is not the case, that -mcrt works fine and that only -newlib has a problem.

He then wrote that he actually meant that it is "... supposedly not possible to alter the specs file to let users semi-permanently choose another c library." to which I for some reason replied "Yes, that is correct". Well, I was wrong, that isn't correct: it is possible to change the default CRT.

So, I am going to drop the -newlib switch since making it work with the current code is more trouble than it's worth. It has been marked deprecated for a while now (the specs of the latest OS4 SDK has it removed) and the user will now get an error report that -newlib is obsolete and that -mcrt=newlib should be used instead. There are no other problems with Gunther's changes that I know of.

Sorry about that, Gunther.

Andrija
Amiga Development tools ML - //www.freelists.org/list/adtools
Homepage...................: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/adtools