[adaptech] HEAR'S SOMETHING.

  • From: "Shane C.A. Lush" <sca.lush@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ADAPTECH@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 09:01:27 -0500

for those not on the w4tb list, read this and let us know what you think.
happy new year to all!
shane
below is the message.
begin message..
Subject: Weird Behavior With Winamp, Real Player and RP Auto-Update

Hi List,

Boy this is a weird one--so as Ricky Ricardo once said to Lucy "'Xplain to
me Lucy!"

I have been running the Tara plugin for quite a while across several
operating systems Win 9X, ME and XP.  I have never seen what I am about to
describe before.  Until today, I was able to play all real audio content
perfectly fine using Winamp.  Today when I clicked on a real media file (all
types) I got the message:

"one or more components to play this type of file are missing on your
system.  To download the proper components, click yes."  I figured this
might be something to do with upgrading to Real One, so I did everything I
could to avoid downloading and installing any new software.  I exited Real
Player's task tray Icon (start center); I took any reference to Real Player
out of the startup dialogue in MS Configuration; I associated and
re-associated the file types in Winamp; I rebooted several times, etc. etc.
etc and nothing worked to eliminate this problem.

Finally, I got brave.  I clicked yes on the auto update button.  I was taken
to another dialogue that asked me if I wanted to download and install the
necessary components from Real Networks.  The indicated size was only 207
KB.  I realized immediately that this in no way could be the entire Real One
Player, so I reluctantly clicked Yes.  In a few seconds, whatever had to be
downloaded and installed was downloaded and installed and I got the
particular file I wanted to load and play to do jus that.  I now have full
access to all real media types including Spinamp sources using Winamp.

What I want to know is just what happened and why.  Does anyone know?

Live Long And Prosper
From Ron Canazzi

Freeserve AnyTime, all the Internet you want for only 13.99 per month with
one m
onth's FREE trial!
Be free to do whatever you want. Be Freeserve. Sign-up at
http://ad.uk.doublecli
ck.net/clk;4858830;7443368;w?http://www.freeserve.com/time/anytime/

end message