[acwe] Socially-distant virtual rehearsal!

  • From: bandgeek@xxxxxxxx
  • To: acwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 17:34:55 -0500

It's Tuesday, so it must be ACWE rehearsal!

Tonight, let's get our instruments out and play a few notes to keep the chops in shape.
ACWE Board President Tom previously shared some ACWE recordings of pieces in our current concert program with which you can play along. I recommend using earbuds so you can hear the recording without blasting the neighbors -- or maybe just one earbud, like the local newscasters who are broadcasting from their homes :-) Add to the list of recordings a new one, from 2015: ACWE playing "Finale" from Shastakovich Symphony #5. I think our next recording of that one will be even better!

Victory at Sea: http://acwe.org/files/recordings/1982-05-09/01VictoryatSea.mp3
Suite of Old American Dances: https://acwe.org/files/recordings/2013-07-03/07SuiteofOldAmericanDances.mp3
Shastakovich Symphony #5, Finale: http://acwe.org/files/recordings/2015-05-10/05Shostakovich5-4.mp3

Robert Laguna shares this Masterclass at the Music Academy of the West, by professor of trumpet, Barbara Butler. It's fairly long, but really fantastic. Watch it in sections, because even though she's coaching trumpet players, her interpretation of sound production (learn how to use your minions to sell your performance) can inspire each of us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD5UIiIwzfE

For a lunchtime break, you can live stream the US Army Field Band performing something new every day. Yesterday was music for flute and harp, today was the brass quintet playing video game music, tomorrow will be the Soldiers' Chorus and Dixieland tribute to yesteryear on Facebook and Youtube https://www.armyfieldband.com/

Watch Neil Diamond perform "Hands... washing hands" https://youtu.be/sPLgsV_Ms3Q

Band Geeks Unite!
Please stay well in this uncertain time.