[aces-caeeg-board] Re: Fwd: Re: ACES BOD Meeting Sunday Nov 28th 5pm

  • From: Justin Cooke <jucooke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aces-caeeg-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 09:50:25 -0400

Hey guys,

My strictest apologies for not being at the meeting. I was actually at my
computer, but I got lost in the paper I was writing and lost track of time.
I apologize and hope I don't make this mistake in the future!

Although I've written a brief goal for my position on the website, seeing as
my position isn't quite defined yet, I'm going to draft up a list of
ambitious but reasonable (does that make sense...?) goals. I spoke to Neil a
month or so ago about an idea I had to host job fairs at the bigger
engineering schools and invite industry reps who can rent out tables for
$200 or so each, with pizza provided. Faculty members could also show up to
make it more professional. I brought this up with Dalhousie's Dean of
engineering briefly and he said that his staff would likely help organize
it, and if successful, he would put a good word in with the MUN and UNB
Deans of engineering. He seems very supportive of ACES and would love to see
us do some stuff. This is one idea I have that could possibly raise

As for the potential sponsors, I've started on that list already. Haven't
got far yet but I'll be asking for lists from the co-op offices. Work in
progress, on hold for exams!

As for CFES... hell yeah I'll be there. I look forward to having a good

Cheers guys!


P.S. This is my email for Gmail conferencing.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Neil McPherson <nl516205@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Good Day Everyone:
> The meeting has been concluded.  In attendance was Mike, Salim, Hannah, and
> myself.  It started around 5:05pm and ended 5:55pm.
> Here is a brief summary of the meeting:
> Goals for positions
> If you have not sent your profile information to Bryce, please do.  What I
> would like to see is a professional goal set for yourself regarding your
> position.  If you are not sure what this should be or how you can accomplish
> it, send me an e-mail and I will try to get you started.
> Updated Constitution and Policy Manual:
> Mike and I have gone through both of these documents and made a lot of
> organization corrections, and such.  It should be ready to go up on the
> website shortly.
> Handbooks:
> UNB has received theirs.  MUN should have theirs soon.  There are still a
> few schools that have not received them.  Mike will be bringing some to
> NSAC.  I will drop some off to SMU.
> The CU Advertising contract I sent around was discussed and we are going
> with them as this is the easiest solution for the handbooks and with dealing
> with Friesens.
> Handovers:
> I think everyone has received some sort of handover although the VP Finance
> one is incomplete.  We need a bank account to deposit the membership fees
> into.  It states in the policy manual that are bank account is supposed to
> be with TD bank, but because we are having trouble with getting access to
> this account with our name on it, we need to open an account with another
> bank in order to deposit the fees before the cheques become outdated.  I
> will be opening an account with BMO as a temporary fix to this problem.
> ACES Financial Situation:
> Well, other than what I mentioned above, we are still in debt to Friesens
> (4500$ approx) and to Dal (4000$ approx).  Once I open up the bank account
> with BMO, Whitney and I will meet to try and pain a picture of ACES finance
> using a spreadsheet and then distribute it.
> AEC:  I have not heard back from Natalie since the last e-mail I sent her.
>  I will try again in a few days.  So far, registration for the AEC is open
> and available through the website I sent a few days ago.  I plan on
> attending AEC, not sure if I will compete, but either way I will be there.
>  If you plan on attending, let me know.
> Both Mike and I will be going to CFES as the ACES delegation.  If you are
> not able to attend CFES congress at MUN, but you want something brought up,
> let us know,  We will bring up anything, within reason, on behalf of the
> ACES membership schools.  If you are going to CFES, please let me and Mike
> know so that we can try and set something up for ACES while we are in St.
> John's.
> The meeting lasted about an hour, but there are still things that need to
> be done and sorted out.  Here is a list of things I want to see done before
> the next ACES meeting in January:
> Everyone:
> Set up a G-mail account.  This will be used for video conferencing for the
> next meeting.  Send your gmail address to Mike once done.  Mine is
> neilistoocool@xxxxxxxxx
> Don't ask about the "too cool", I thought it was awesome when I set up that
> account when I was 19; quite some time ago.
> Profile info sent to Bryce.  Everyone info should be loaded on the ACES
> website by this time as well.
> VP Comms:
> 1. A contact list of all ACES executive to include:
> gmail account
> cell phone number
> 2. Keep a record of this e-mail for minutes of the meeting today.
> 3. Create a separate distribution list for confidential info.  The reason
> for this is because this free lists distribution list is accessible to
> anyone on the internet.  Some of the information we will be dealing with in
> the future may be confidential.  Keep this in mind when using the
> aces-caeeg-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx list.
> VP Finance:
> 1. A spreadsheet done up with all the current ACES financial information.
>  I realize that we will have to meet in person for this to happen.  Maybe a
> day during the exam period when neither of us have exams.
> 2. Get the bank account from TD transferred over for signing authority
> which will include you, myself, and Mike.  I will do what I can to help with
> this as this is my biggest issue right now with handover.
> Prof Dev Directors:
> 1. Make contact with your respective Provincial Professional Engineering
> Organizations.  I sent out examples of letters that were sent out last year.
>  Once you make contact, see what if anything they can do for ACES in terms
> of sponsorship, Professional Development, etc.
> Handbook Director:
> 1. Review the files that Friesens sent you so that when it comes time to
> fill out a template for next years handbooks, everything is ready to go.
>  Once page that will need to be changed is the new executive.  If you have
> any thoughts on something else you would like to see there, let me know.
>  Maybe a formula sheet that is tailored towards engineers.
> Director Corp Relations:
> 1. Start compiling a list of companies and organizations that could be
> seen as potential sponsors for ACES.  This could be used towards the AEC, or
> any other ACES event.  The traveling career fair idea you mentioned sounds
> has some real potential.  This should be just a composite list for now.
>  Look to include companies and organizations outside of NS as well.
>  Anything that is in the Atlantic Provinces.  Look to include contact
> information with this list as well.
> 2. Look to start making a generic sponsorship package template for ACES.
>  The one from U de M might be a good place to start, especially where
> bilingualism comes in.
> Thats all for now.  I will send out an e-mail in the next week or so with
> an update.  When I send out the notice for the next meeting in January,
> everyone should have a gmail account that they can use.  We will chalk this
> meeting up to miscommunication on my part, but I think I've been perfectly
> clear with regards to direction for the next meeting.  I realize we are all
> busy trying to get through are engineering undergrad degree, but I have
> found that doing a little bit of ACES each week, lessons the workload once
> it comes to deadlines that have to be met, and if forces me to keep up to
> date with what's going on.
> Good luck with upcoming exams.  Cheers.
> Neil
> Begin forwarded message:
> *From: *Whitney Hurlbut <whitneyh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> *Date: *November 28, 2010 4:35:42 PM AST
> *To: *aces-caeeg-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> *Subject: **[aces-caeeg-board] Re: ACES BOD Meeting Sunday Nov 28th 5pm*
> *Reply-To: *aces-caeeg-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> How do we go on the meeting tonight? Is there a link?
> Thanks,
> Whitney.
> On 6-Nov-10, at 1:15 PM, Neil.McPherson@xxxxxx wrote:
> I’m calling our first meeting for Sunday November 28th at 5pm.  The
> meeting should only last about an hour as I think we can deal with most of
> the details for what needs to be done through e-mail.  I’m asking for any
> Agenda items any of you might have so that we can organize the meeting
> accordingly.  You don’t need to send them to me right away; this is just a
> heads up.  Some of the topics for discussion at this meeting will be:
>    - Goals for your respective position
>    - Updated Constitution and Policy Manual
>    - Handbooks
>    - Handovers
>    - ACES financial situation
>    - AEC 2011
>    - CFES 2011
> One hour is not a lot of time to cover all these topics in depth, which is
> why I would like the nitty gritty details to be covered in e-mail.  Let me
> know if you are unable to make this meeting date, but hopefully this is
> enough advance notice that everyone can attend.  Cheers.
> PS:  If you have a Skype account, or a g-mail account capable of video
> conference, let me know.
> Neil McPherson
> VP OutReach Fall 2010
> Dalhousie Sexton Engineering Undergraduate Society
> http://daleng.ca/
> President
> Atlantic Council of Engineering Students (ACES)
> http://www.aces-caeeg.com/home
> Neil McPherson
> VP Outreach Fall Term 2010
> DSEUS (Dalhousie Sexton Engineering Undergraduate Society
> http://daleng.ca/
> President 2010-2011
> ACES (Atlantic Council of Engineering Students)
> http://www.aces-caeeg.com/

Other related posts: