[aces-caeeg-board] ACES AGM Sept 30th to Oct 2nd & AEC Rules

  • From: Neil McPherson <NL516205@xxxxxx>
  • To: 105074L@xxxxxxxxxx, meaganbuchanan@xxxxxxxxxxx, cory_youden@xxxxxxxxxxx, chelseacdavis@xxxxxxxxx, dseus@xxxxxx, engineer@xxxxxx, vwilkins@xxxxxx, mwb510@xxxxxx, Stephanie Walsh <stephanie.walsh@xxxxxx>, eusnsac@xxxxxxxxx, x2011rmy@xxxxxxx, x2010pjs@xxxxxxx, aeegum@xxxxxxxxxxx, edt8356@xxxxxxxxxxx, e.cowperthwaite@xxxxxx, eus@xxxxxx, jebernard9@xxxxxxxxx, riajvanderlinden@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:23:26 -0300

Good Day Atlantic Engineering Students:

My name is Neil McPherson and I would like to invite you to the Atlantic Council of Engineering Students (ACES) Annual General Meeting that is being held at the Universite de Moncton from Friday Sept 30th to Sunday October 2nd.

What does ACES do and what can ACES do for me as an engineering student?

ACES is an organization that provides representation and professional development resources for its member universities as well as facilitates communication between them.  How, you might ask?  Through events such as the AGM and the AEC.  These two major events happen every year at different universities within Atlantic Canada, thereby trying to make them accessible to all member schools.

Why attend the ACES AGM?  Three reasons are:

1.  AEC:

The rules governing who is eligible to participate in the AEC will most likely be changing this year.  The ACES executive have drafted a motion that will not only implement an AEC Rule book, but member universities who have not paid their ACES membership fees will not be eligible to win and represent the Atlantic Region at the Canadian Engineering Competition (CEC).  This is inline with how the CFES (Canadian Federation of Engineering Students) is running CEC.

2.  Learn from Others:

Whether this is your first year on your respective Engineering Undergraduate Societies (Eng-Soc) or your last, there is always something to learn from others who have been challenged with problems that most, if not all Eng-Soc's face.  Whether it be finances, communication with outside schools and organizations, fund raising, or organizing events, these are all things that most Eng-Socs have in common.  It is in the best interest of your societies to learn from other's mistakes and successes, thereby helping you to do the best job you can.  As an example of what can be learned, I am providing a summary of what I learned by attending the CFES Congress that the Memorial University of NewFoundland (MUN) hosted in January of 2011.  This event was a great success and I was fortunate enough to attend so that I could learn from others and apply it to ACES as well as my own school, Dalhousie University.

3.  Workshops:

There will be some workshops at the AGM focusing on some soft skills.  Here is a copy of the proposed schedule.  This schedule might change slightly as far as timings go, but the content should remain the same.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask via e-mail.  If you are interested in attending the AGM, you should send an e-mail to Mathew Ward (emw3760@xxxxxxxxxxx) at Universite de Moncton ASAP.  We are always looking for more involvement from all the Atlantic Engineering Schools so if you think you would like to be involved, let us know.

Neil McPherson
President 2010-2011
ACES (Atlantic Council of Engineering Students)