[accessiblelinux] Re: word counts

  • From: <aerospace1028@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vilmar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <accessiblelinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:45:47 -0400

thanks,
that worked.  I had tried various other abreviations (word, words, wordcount,
countwords, wdcount, etc) to no success.  I forgot to try simple initials.

Aparrently, wordcount is a valid command provided by the European Melecular
Biology Office Statistics Suite (EMBOSS): but I don't have a melecular biology
background and wouldn't have use for the remainder of the emboss package.

Anyway, thank you:-)

Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:29:13 -0300
From: vilmar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: accessiblelinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: aerospace1028@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [accessiblelinux] word counts

Hi,

You can try:

wc -w file, where file is the name of the file.

The option -w of the command wc, counts the number of words of a file.

On 03/20/2010 09:45 AM, aerospace1028@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  greetings,

I have a question about wordcount in linux.  I've been using gedit and
I've noticed that words with apostrophes (') get counted as two words.

example:

if I type

"I don't know."

into gedit and go to the last entry in the tools menu (document
statistics, I think) it says there are four words in the document  ("I
[1] + don't [1] + know [1]." = 3).  I looked through the preference
settings and tried googling the issue, but can't find anything on if
it's possible to alter this behavior.

does anyone know if there is a setting that can modify this behavior?
Or, is there a command-line tool that can count the words in a textfile?

I know open office has a word count feature as well, but at the moment
orca speach inOO is spotty with my system.  I am running Ubuntu8.04 LTS
and plan to upgrade to lucid when it's officially released.

thanks:-)

  Sign
up now.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID27925::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:032010_1