[accessiblelinux] word counts

  • From: <aerospace1028@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessiblelinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:45:42 -0400

greetings,
I have a question about wordcount in linux.  I've been using gedit and I've
noticed that words with apostrophes (') get counted as two words.

example:
if I type

"I don't know."

into gedit and go to the last entry in the tools menu (document statistics, I
think) it says there are four words in the document  ("I [1] + don't [1] + know
[1]." = 3).  I looked through the preference settings and tried googling the
issue, but can't find anything on if it's possible to alter this behavior.

does anyone know if there is a setting that can modify this behavior?  Or, is
there a command-line tool that can count the words in a textfile?

I know open office has a word count feature as well, but at the moment orca
speach inOO is spotty with my system.  I am running Ubuntu8.04 LTS and plan to
upgrade to lucid when it's officially released.

thanks:-)
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/210850552/direct/01/