[accessiblelinux] orca-customizations

  • From: Storm Dragon <stormdragon2976@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Accessible Linux <accessiblelinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vinux Development <vinux-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:19:15 -0500

Hi,
I am working on a new method for customizations. The old way of doing it
has a couple of problems. the first problem is that the file is getting
rather large. When something new is added it gets more difficult to
debug the file. So, my new way of doing things is to create a
customizations.py file that searches a new directory called
customizations/. It automatically imports any script located in this
directory. There are a lot of advantages with this method. Scripts
remain small, and debuging is easier because only one small script is
changed not a large single file. new scripts are easier for other people
to add because they don't have to try and follow the whole code to
figure out where the script goes. I am not the best for commenting my
code. End users can pick and choose which scripts they would like to
add, no more blanket 1 script fits all method. As an example, the
customizations folder in .orca/customizations/ may contain:
weather.py
date.py
The new orca-customizations.py file would automatically import those 2
files. There is a drawback though. If everything is not in a single
file, it may make distribution with Vinux a little more tricky. I have
only started a rough draft of this method, so it may not work as I
intend. Before I go further with it though, I would like to get
everyone's opinion. Which method do you think would be better, the old
single file or the new multifile way?
Thanks
Storm

--