[accessibleimage] Re: Is the PDF format acceptable as an assistive technology

  • From: "Kaizen Program" <kaizen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 13:05:47 -0800

Over the years, a number of blind computer users, including me, have
repeatedly complained about the lack of accessibility of PDF files,
especially those that are made as image files and those that are made
automatically (which is most of them) without regard for the accessibility
components that the most recent Adobe program can give PDFs for people using
the  most recent versions of screen readers. When a PDF is made, the person
making it needs to purposefully make it accessible. It does not happen
automatically. Of course, there are many blind computer users who cannot
afford to constantly upgrade their screen readers, which also means that
many blind computer users cannot even take advantage of the most modern
improvements when they are in the most recently made PDF files. And this
does not deal with the issue of pictures, graphs, etc.

Image files require character recognition programs to produce electronic
text that is readable by screen readers... Such programs are often too
expensive for individual blind computer users.

Even when schools have the programs and the available staff with the
know-how to convert PDF files to accessible formats, it takes skill and
practice and it can take a long time, so the students may not get the texts
when they need them. This can make it difficult for students to keep up with
their peers in classes requiring reading of the material in the PDF files.
And the offices that assist students with disabilities often have many other
demands beyond assisting blind students with texts, since there are students
with other disabilities requiring other help. And there are often more
students with other disabilities than students who are blind...

It is an ongoing problem that has been written about on many forums related
to blindness issues, in many magazines, and addressed to many publishers and
the Adobe company itself directly.

As far as I am concerned, it is an ongoing frustration both for those of us
not studying in school who need to read material for professional work and
for students who are still in school.

Best regards,
Sylvie

Sylvie Kashdan, M.A.
Instructor/Curriculum Coordinator
KAIZEN PROGRAM for New English Learners with Visual Limitations
810-A Hiawatha Place South
Seattle, WA  98144, U.S.A.
phone:  (206) 784-5619
email:  kaizen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx